The Safe-in-Sound Excellence and Innovation in Hearing Loss Prevention Awards™ honor excellent hearing loss prevention (HLP) practices in the work environment. Applicants are evaluated against key performance indicators in a review process designed to evaluate hearing loss prevention programs in each of three work sectors: construction, manufacturing and services. In addition, a fourth award for Innovation in Hearing Loss Prevention recognizes individuals and/or business entities, regardless of sector/ NAICS code affiliation.
This year Custom Protect Ear’s President, Jeffrey Goldberg attended the The Safe-in-Sound Excellence and Innovation in Hearing Loss Prevention Awards™ on February 24, 2012 in New Orleans, Louisiana. Here are the winners:
The 2012 recipients for Excellence in Hearing Loss Prevention in the Manufacturing Sector are:
Colgate – Palmolive Company is recognized for adopting 85/3 company wide, multiple noise controls studies, development of noise control measures, online, on demand noise control training in 6 languages: here are some of the points.
- - 39,000 employees, 16 Billion is sales, 60 plants.
- - Committed to world class health and safety performance
- - Every plant has an E O H S professional on staff.
- - Global standards for OH&S – noise standards are the same wherever there is a plant.
- - Reduce noise at the source, design quiet – equipment at < 82 dBA
- - Operate quiet – preventative maintenance stop noise at the source.
- - Noise reduction taught around the world (D. Driscoll slide)
- - Reduce noise at the source. Require all site to have 2 noise reduction projects per year everywhere.
- - Implemented over 250 noise reduction projects worldwide.
- - Challenged to create a zero hearing protection sites
- - Colgate will promote the winning of the award throughout the company.
Largest U.S. manufacturing plant for 3M. Recognized for all inclusive and fully integrated approach for hearing health. Fit Testing all plant personnel, Buying Quiet program. 700 in hearing conservation program out of 1,400 employees. Tapes, Filters, Post-it etc. 3 keys – Noise measurement, Noise Reduction, and Hearing conservation excellence. (371 dosimetry samples in the last year). Use the Using Ear-Fit system they tested a sample of 84 people initially: here are some of the points.
- - 55% got a good fit,
- - 24% needed training to get a good fit (+20 dBA,
- - 19% needed Training and a switch of plug and
- - 2% couldn’t be fit with any plug (Used custom of muffs)
- - Using Ear-Fit they were able to get people who had worn plugs for years. They got an Aha’ moment when they finally got a good fit and found out what that felt like, and sounded like.
- - Stock combat arms in their factory store for hunters.
The 2012 recipient for Innovation in Hearing Loss Prevention in the Construction Sector is:
The Hanford Waste Treatment and Immobilization Plant (WTP) is the world’s largest radioactive waste treatment plant: here are some of the points.
- - BN11 Waste Treatment & Immobilization Plant (WTP)
- - World’s largest radioactive waste treatment plant.
- - 1,100 employees in the hearing conservation program (out of 3,200).
- - Jacob Bailey, Jacob Lukins, Scott Nickerson lead the HCP
- - Much of the program adopted by WTP has been adopted by other Bechtel locations.
- - Program is considered by Bechtel to be low cost.
- - Benefits extend beyond the hearing conservation program and Bechtel considers this cheaper than the fines they might get from DOE.
- - Future projections:
- - Tool noise levels will be part of their purchase decisions in future.
- - Review cost benefit for fit testing and hearing protection devices.
Way to go all this year’s winners of The Safe-in-Sound Excellence and Innovation in Hearing Loss Prevention Awards™ . CLICK HERE TO READ PRESS RELEASE.