National Protect Your Hearing Month
Well, it is that time of year again, October is National Protect Your Hearing Month.
As a leader in the custom hearing protection industry we, Custom Protect Ear, take this month very seriously as issues such as Noise-induced Hearing Loss (NIHL) greatly affects the industrial workforce. However, it does not stop there, people of all ages can develop noise-induced hearing loss. Hearing loss from too much noise exposure can happen in an instant or build over time, and it can’t be fixed.
Custom Protect Ear along with other affiliates encourage everyone to learn about noise-induced hearing loss and a preventable type of hearing loss
A recent Study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), with support from the NIDCD, shows that based on certain features of their hearing test results, at least 10 million adults in the U.S. (6 percent of the population) under age 70—and perhaps as many as 40 million adults (24 percent)—may have hearing loss from noise in one or both ears.
The good news is that you can take steps to protect your hearing:
- Move away from the noise. If you can’t lower the volume, put some distance between you and the source.
- Lower the volume. Know which noises can cause damage (those at or above 85 decibels), such as listening through headphones at a high volume.
- Wear hearing protectors, such as earplugs or earmuffs, when involved in a loud activity. Activity-specific earplugs and earmuffs are available at hardware and sporting goods stores.
- Protect the ears of children who are too young to protect their own.
- Tell family, friends, and colleagues about noise hazards.
Spread the word this October on how to prevent noise-induced hearing loss! Resources you can use to educate yourself with Hearing Loss Prevention PDF.